Cast your burden on the Lord,
And He shall sustain you;
He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.
- Merriam Webster defines “sustain” as follows:
- to give support or relief to
- to supply with sustenance : nourish
- keep up, prolong
- to support the weight of <prop>, also : to carry or withstand (a weight or pressure)
- to buoy up : sustained by hope
- (a) to bear up under (b) suffer, undergo sustained heavy losses
- God gives us support and relief in the midst of our struggles and sorrows.
- God supplies us with sustenance (both physical and spiritual), and He nourishes our spirits with His word.
- God keeps us up when we naturally would have fallen down. He prolongs our lives in this world and it is because of Him that we can live each day that we are given.
- God supported the weight of our sins by carrying them to the cross for us. Today, He still carries us through our trials, and He continues to carry our burdens. Only with His help can we withstand the tides and pressures of this world.
- God buoys us up through giving us hope through His promises to us. We can trust in His word.
- God still bears up despite our faithlessness; He continues to be faithful to us. He has suffered because of our sins and because of our disobedience. Yet He continues to love us and care for us.
- How does God sustain us?
If we have such an amazing Savior who sustains us in so many wonderful ways, how can we not cast all our burdens on Him and trust in Him? Let us reflect on the many ways that God has sustained us in our lives.